Bridgend – Development & Building Control Manager – Planning Services
Bridgend County Borough
Development & Building Control Manager – Planning Services
Salary: £38,813–£40,760 per annum
Hours: 37 hours per week
Closes: 30 May 2019
Job reference: 09907
Job category/type: Vacancy (Non Schools)
A position has arisen in the Building Control Section for a Team Leader.
We are looking for a highly competent Building Control manager and practitioner to provide high quality leadership to the team.
Bridgend County Borough Council Building Control team has a fine reputation throughout the Construction community and you will be able to maintain and enhance this reputation.
This challenging and varied role will require an in depth understanding and knowledge of the all aspects relating to the management of building works being undertaken by construction firms and other bodies in the County Borough.
The post is integral to the implementation of Building Regulations as it affects Bridgend County Borough Council.
Building Control is an important fee earning and statutory service provided by BCBC in the face of growing competition from Approved Inspectors.
The significant fee earning potential for a building control service is important to offset the other non-fee-earning work such as dangerous structures.
The Team Leader is the "face" of the section and has a key role in attracting and retaining clients. The post will also need to provide the expertise to process large commercial/industrial building regulations approval applications, organising and chairing pre-submission meetings between all interested parties. Knowledge of and experience in working with documents relevant to major applications will be essential.
You will be managing a team of seven staff including two modern apprentices who have been appointed, one in a trainee Building Control Surveyor role and the other in a Business Support capacity.
For full details of the role see the Job description, but the general duties will include:
- Processing all building regulation applications and ensuring speedy determination under delegated powers including all matters of checking, planning and inspection under the Building Control Regulations
- Implementing legislation as it affects Building Control under the following:
- Housing Acts
- Safety at Sports Grounds
- The Mid Glamorgan Act
- Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Acts
- Building Act 1984.
- Dealing with all aspects of dangerous structures in the County Borough including Sections 77 & 78 Notices
- To deal with notifications of demolition, and the serving of counter notices
- To maintain and enhance building control records and statistical information, and to produce quarterly national and local performance indicators
- To line manage officers including undertaking staff appraisals for team members, hold team meetings and manage staff workload through the allocation of work
- To maintain an awareness and understanding of legislation and legal precedents as they relate to building control issues
- To prepare statements and present evidence at hearings, inquiries and court proceedings on building control matters
- To actively support the Development and Building Control Manager in providing expert professional advice to Officers and Members of the Authority
You must have experience in undertaking the specific duties identified in this pack.
You must be able to manage a team and communicate effectively with colleagues, local members, external companies and members of the public.
Closing Date: Thursday 30 May 2019