Kensington – Principal Structural Engineer
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Principal Structural Engineer
Salary: up to £55,800 per annum (pro-rata if part-time) plus PRP of up to 10% a year
Hours: 36 or 21.60 (if part-time)
Closes: 22 April 2019
- Work location: Kensington Town Hall, W8 7NX
- Interview date: Week commencing 29 April 2019
- Contact details for an informal discussion: Jago Williams on 02073613823
This role is available as either full-time (36 hours) or part-time (21.60 hours).
Celebrating and preserving the unique cultural and environmental character of the borough is a major focus of this department, which includes Planning and Borough Development, Transport and Highways, Libraries, Environmental Health, Community Safety and Cleaner, Greener and Cultural Services.
Kensington and Chelsea is one of London's most vibrant and densely populated boroughs, with a multitude of beautiful buildings, museums and parks. The planning team ensure any new building projects are undertaken with consideration to our residents, as well as our skyline.
If you are passionate about the environment, and the support services required to keep it safe, clean and green, take a look at our vacancies and join our dedicated team.
We are looking for either a part-time or full-time engineer to lead our structural engineering service. In this role you will:
- Check and confirm Part A compliance for all building control projects
- Tender for, and undertake structural surveys to internal and external customers
- Mentor and develop building control surveyors in structural engineering
- Attend day time dangerous structure call outs and be part of the out of hours dangerous structure rota
The role also includes a silver badge for on street parking in the borough, as well as a car park space at the Town Hall.
Please refer to the Job Description for more information.
We are looking for an experienced and technically proficient structural engineer, who has good commercial skills. You must have full corporate membership of either ICE (MICE/FICE) or IStrucE (MIStructE/FIStructE). A full driving licence is also required.
You will need excellent negotiation, customer service and time management skills and a flexible approach to work.
- In conjunction with the District Surveyor, lead the building control business in relation to Structural Engineering / Part A of the Approved Documents –Building Regulations, ensuring it operates in accordance with all legislative requirements and the Council's policies and procedures.
- Being the Council's lead technical structural regulations professional in building control.
- Attend day time dangerous structure call outs, and be part of an out of hours rota.
- Providing leadership on structural regulation building control matters both internally across the Council with councillors and officers and externally to residents, businesses, partners and other external bodies, promoting high quality development and urban environments which achieve the Council's objectives.
- Ensuring building control professionals are managed, mentored and developed according to their needs and professional requirements.
- Assisting the Head of Support and Business Development with technical and market knowledge and staff leadership to help lead an innovative, growth focused commercial strategy focusing on existing business and emerging markets, ensuring that business growth is accelerated and commercial success is achieved.
Developing and maintaining an awareness of best practice in the field of structural engineering building control and seek to implement best practice in the Royal Borough.
We are committed to promoting equality and respecting diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are Disability Confident – committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.
We work in partnership with Hampshire County Council (HCC) who deliver many transactional services on our behalf. Although most communications will be from HCC, all selection and appointment decisions will be made by RBKC. Certain services are shared across more than one Council area to nearby neighbouring Authorities. This enhances delivery and reduces costs. Your recruitment information will advise if your remit extends beyond RBKC.