Kensington – Senior Surveyor and Structural Engineer
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Senior Surveyor and Structural Engineer
Salary: Up to £51,500 per annum plus PRP of up to 10% a year
Closes: 22 April 2019
- Work location: Kensington Town Hall, W8 7NX
- Interview date: Week commencing 29 April 2019
- Contact details for an informal discussion: Jago Williams on 02073613823
Celebrating and preserving the unique cultural and environmental character of the borough is a major focus of this department, which includes Planning and Borough Development, Transport and Highways, Libraries, Environmental Health, Community Safety and Cleaner, Greener and Cultural Services.
Kensington and Chelsea is one of London's most vibrant and densely populated boroughs, with a multitude of beautiful buildings, museums and parks. The planning team ensure any new building projects are undertaken with consideration to our residents, as well as our skyline.
If you are passionate about the environment, and the support services required to keep it safe, clean and green, take a look at our vacancies and join our dedicated team.
We are looking for a full-time senior building control surveyor to join our building control service. Role includes:
- Project Surveyor for building control applications, including major/complex projects.
- Responsible for checking compliance of the building regulations through plan checking, site inspections and undertaking all necessary consultation as part of the project surveyor role.
- Responsible for issuing all necessary building control approvals for applications, in accordance with the requirements of legislation and the Council's policies and procedures.
- Attend day time dangerous structure call outs and be part of the out of hours dangerous structure rota.
- Undertake Part A compliance checks – if applying to be a Senior Building Control Surveyor and Structural Engineer.
The role also includes a silver badge for on street parking in the borough, as well as a car park space at the Town Hall.
For more information please refer to the Job Description.
We are looking for an experienced building control surveyor, who has good commercial skills. You must have full corporate membership of an appropriate body. A full driving licence is also required.
You will need excellent negotiation, customer service and time management skills and a flexible approach to work.
- Deliver the building control business and statutory service, through building control surveying. Ensuring all building control applications and consultancy operates in accordance with all legislative requirements and the Council's policies and procedures.
- On building control projects – liaise across the Council with councillors and officers and externally to residents, businesses, partners and other external bodies, promoting quality development and urban environments which achieve the Council's objectives.
- Support the District Surveyor in being part of the statutory out of hours' dangerous structures service.
- Assisting the Head of Support and Business Development with technical and market knowledge and staff leadership to help lead an innovative, growth focused commercial strategy focusing on existing business and emerging markets, ensuring that business growth is accelerated and commercial success is achieved.
- Developing and maintaining an awareness of best practice in the field of building control and seek to implement best practice in the Royal Borough.
- Supporting and leading change initiatives and improvements, acting as a change champion, participating in working groups for change programmes and continually striving for improved customer service, better exploitation of technology and more efficient processes.
We are committed to promoting equality and respecting diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are Disability Confident - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.
We work in partnership with Hampshire County Council (HCC) who deliver many transactional services on our behalf. Although most communications will be from HCC, all selection and appointment decisions will be made by RBKC. Certain services are shared across more than one Council area to nearby neighbouring Authorities. This enhances delivery and reduces costs. Your recruitment information will advise if your remit extends beyond RBKC.