Thanet – Senior Building Control Surveyor
Thanet District Council
Senior Building Control Surveyor
- Division/Department: Building Control – Asset Management
- Location: Cecil Street
- Reports to: Head of Service
- Politically Restricted Post: No
- DBS Requirement: No
To be part of a team delivering a high quality, customer focused and commercially competitive Building Control service.
- Check deposited plans and undertake site inspections to achieve compliance with the Building Regulations and allied legislation. Ensure that projects are managed throughout the project duration within the agreed inspection framework. Act as account manager as required with partner companies for applications submitted through the LABC Partnership Scheme (under review)
- Where applicable advise and recommend to the HOS action to take for enforcement under the Building Act 1984 ensuring advice and any action taken is within powers delegated.
- Form part of the out of hours rota to ensure adequate out of hours provision for emergency works under the Building Act 19894.
- Investigate reports of unauthorised building works, and where necessary instigate appropriate enforcement action.
- Maintain concise and accurate records on approved systems.
- Develop and maintain a professional relationship with developers, agents and contractors.
- Support the administration and accounts team with arrears monitoring, recommending action to the HOS.
- Supervision of a building control surveyor and administrator, providing advice and direction as required.
- Undertake training and continuing professional development appropriate to the post in agreement with the Building Control Manager.
- A comprehensive knowledge of current building construction methods, materials and techniques.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Building Act 1984, the Building Regulations, Approved Documents and allied legislation.
- Knowledge of Local Government systems and processes is desirable.
- The possession of good communication skills both verbal and in writing, with the ability to establish and build professional working relationships with customers.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to prioritise works.
- The ability to work both as part of a team and on own initiative as appropriate.
- A flexible attitude to the nature of work undertaken, together with a desire to learn new skills and adapt positively to changing demands and circumstances.
Experience in an equivalent role is essential together with evidence of successful working within a similar commercially competitive environment.
Chartered Membership of RICS or CABE or equivalent.
Annual budgetary amounts
Whilst there is no formal budget responsibility, the post holder will be expected to match their time to the received fee for the application and to support the commercial operation of the section.
Number of staff reporting to the job holder: 2
Any other relevant statistics: None
Nature of contacts
Reporting and co-ordination with officers of the council to ensure effective service delivery.
- Supporting the administrators in technical enquiries and customer contact.
- Effectively communicating with customers, managing expectations.
- Negotiating considered and appropriate revisions to submitted schemes and site works.
- Receiving requests for site inspections and notifications of dangerous structures and insecure properties and determining the nature of the required response taking into account the circumstances of the case.
Working environment context
The role will require site visits to construction sites in all weathers and involve working at height and adjacent to deep excavations (PPE will be provided). The use of a vehicle and full driving licence is essential.