Building Control Qualifications
LABC’s ground-breaking qualification pathway is the first and only one of its kind in the United Kingdom.
All our qualifications are supported by the Institute of Fire Engineers (IFE). The level four and level five diplomas are delivered by LABC and awarded through the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB). The BSc Degree will be delivered by LABC and the University of Wolverhampton and is due to be funded by the Apprenticeship Levy.
"By providing competency based learning to construction professionals, we’re enabling them to succeed, and together we’re changing the built environment for the better.” Paul Everall CBE, LABC Chief Executive
The qualification's syllabuses and assessments have been designed to deliver building control surveyors with proven competency who’ll raise standards, address growing skills shortages and contribute to public protection. Each qualification will offer employers peace of mind that their staff are fully competent and that competency can be evidenced, whilst providing learners with a structured, accredited and recognised learning pathway that builds confidence, skills, knowledge, improved job prospects and security.
Our qualifications are designed to be accessible to all LABC members by being delivered mostly online with some block release time for learners to attend face to face workshops and assessments. We're hoping to announce enrolments for the next intake to Level 4 and 5 soon. We hope to start both of these courses on the 28 August 2018. As soon as the start date is confirmed and enrolments open we will update this page with a link to enrol.
Please be aware that the Institute for Apprenticeships may not have made Levy funding available in time for this first intake of students, in which case the cost of the 2018 course will be fully funded by the student or employer.
- Level 4 - Diploma - 1 year (part time) - Domestic Extensions and Alterations
- Start Date 28 August (TBC)
- The course includes one compulsory week-long residential training course which would take place on the 19 November 2018
- Level 5 - Diploma - 1 year ( part time ) - New homes, small commercial, large commercial and high risk
- Start Date 28 August (TBC)
- The course includes three compulsory week-long residential training courses which would take place on the 29 October 2018, 4 March 2019 and 29 April 2019
- Level 6 - Hon Degree Top-up - 2 years (part time)
- Start Date September 2019 (TBC)
- The start in September 2019 will allow graduates from the Level 5 Diploma to move seamlessly onto the final two-year programme.
- The Level 6 course will also require some block release – more information will be made available as soon as it has been agreed with the University.
Ready to register your interest?
(Registering will mean that we'll contact you by email or by telephone with further information on the qualifications.)