Skip to main content

You are here

Where can I get a copy of my building certificate?

Homeowners and agents often need to request copy certificates for proof that work has been carried out on homes or other buildings.

Below is information on who to contact to get a copy of a building certificate.

Approvals, Final Inspection Letters and/or Completion Certificates

If the building control work was carried out by your local authority, you should contact them to obtain a copy of a Completion Certificate or Full Plans approval notice. If, however, the building control work was carried out by an Approved Inspector, you should contact them for copies of any initial Notices, Plans or Final Certificates instead.There may be an administration charge involved and if no Completion Certificate was issued, a Final Inspection letter may be sent to you instead (or an inspection organised if no Final Inspection was carried out). 

Find your local authority building control contact details easily and quickly

Warranty certificates

If you're asked to provide an LABC Warranty certificate, contact LABC Warranty.

If the structural warranty was issued by another provider, contact them directly.

Self-certified work

Where works have been carried out by a member of a Competent Person Scheme, e.g. electrical, plumbing or gas-related works, you should contact the relevant scheme operator.

Further information

More building control questions? Browse our Homeowner FAQs. Do you need help on your new build, self build or renovation? Visit our Homeowners page.