Skip to main content

You are here

Why should I use someone in a Competent Person Scheme (CPS)?

Roofer working on roof - competent persons scheme

Some work can be carried out without telling a building control body, providing you use a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) registered installer. 

An installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with building regulations and should both notify the local authority of the work and issue you a certificate of compliance with the building regs either directly or through their scheme operator.

If you don't receive a certificate within 30 days of completion, contact the CPS operator that your installer is registered with and they may be able to help you resolve the matter.

If you don't use an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme then you will have to submit a Building Notice or Full Plans Application and pay a fee to have a building control person come and inspect the work.

How can I find an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme in my area or check that my chosen installer is with a scheme?

Visit and enter your postcode or the name of the installer in the relevant search box.

This is a list of the types of work covered by Competent Person Schemes.

  • Installation of cavity wall insulation
  • Installation of solid wall insulation
  • Installation of gas appliances
  • Installation or replacement of hot water and heating systems connected to gas appliances
  • Installation or replacement of a heating or hot water system connected to an electric heat source
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems
  • Any electrical installation work in dwellings
  • Electrical installation work only in association with other work (e.g. kitchen installations, boiler installations)
  • Replacement windows, doors, roof windows, or roof lights in dwellings
  • Installation of plumbing and water supply systems and bathrooms and sanitary ware
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs (not including solar panels)
  • Installation of microgeneration or renewable technologies

If your project consists of work other than that mentioned above, you'll need to speak to your local building control team, who'll be happy to help.

Need more information for your home project? Visit our Homeowners page.