Skip to main content

You are here

For Homeowners


If you're a homeowner and planning an extension or conversion, you may need a building regulations inspection as well as planning permission. Whereas planning permission is about how a building looks, building regulations make sure your home is structurally safe.

Getting building work approved by your local council’s building control team helps ensure that the work is safe and up to building regulations standards as well as protecting you against rogue builders. So seek their advice before starting any building project.

Getting started on your building project

These resources will help get your new project off the ground:

See also: Building control FAQS for homeowners

​Loft conversions, garage conversions and conservatories

Internal alterations, repairs and electrical work

  • Internal alterations and repairs (Video) - find out when your alterations or repairs will need building regulations inspections.
  • Electrical work - it is your responsibility to ensure electrical work in your home is either completed by a competent person scheme-registered electrician or checked by one.

Building control performance

The building control function in England and Wales works with property owners, developers, architects, contractors and trades people to ensure building work meets the standards set in the Building Regulations.

However, because a competitive dual system of building control exists in England and Wales (public and private sectors), successive Government Ministers in England and Wales have maintained an advisory group to measure performance.

What standards apply to organisations delivering building control - and how do these help you? (PDF) 

Also read When does a replacement kitchen or bathroom need Building Regulations approval?