Building regulations approval still needed for house extensions

Picture of a house extension

A recent Government announcement that affects homeowners in England wishing to increase the size of their homes has been making the news recently. 

Temporary measures (due to expire 30 May 2019) that allowed homeowners to build bigger single-storey rear extensions without the need for planning permission have now been made permanent.

This means that extensions of up to 6m in length can be added to terraced and semi-detached homes, and extensions up to 8m can be built onto detached homes without planning permission (this doubles previous limits).

While this means that homeowners in England no longer have to wait for planning permission to be granted - a process that can take some time - it doesn't mean that building regulations and other factors can be ignored.

Building regulations and home extensions - what's the process?

First the owner of the property with their building contractor and architect or designer will decide if the house is suitable for an extension.

Then the plans which detail the work that will be carried out during the build should be submitted to the local authority's building control team before work starts.

For minor works your builder might prefer to use a Building Notice. You can normally make your application over the phone or online and start within 48 hours.

During the build a surveyor will carry out site visits, and once the work is completed and the surveyor is satisfied that it complies with building regulations, a Completion Certificate will be issued. 

If your extension is within 3m of a public sewer you'll also need a Build Over agreement with your local sewerage company.

Further information

Do I need building regulations approval for my extension? 

How do I apply for building regulations approval?


Please Note: Every care was taken to ensure the information was correct at the time of publication. Any written guidance provided does not replace the user’s professional judgement. It is the responsibility of the dutyholder or person carrying out the work to ensure compliance with relevant building regulations or applicable technical standards.


Party Wall Act for proection of Adjoining Owners

Submitted 0 eiliad ago

It is a large increase in size for an extension to many properties and the average homeowner has no knowledge of the Party Wall etc Act 1996, [although it has been around for over 20 years] and the stability/damage problems that may occur to adjoining properties while the extension is being built.

All further information on this change is an opportunity inform the public of the Act and also refer to the internet for further details - everything now is going global -

Party wall agreements

Submitted 0 eiliad ago

My wife and I recently extended her house and were confronted with the need for pwas with three neighbours, one of whom was very confrontational. We consulted a party wall surveyor and he suggested building on a reinforced concrete raft and avoiding the need for pwa,s a lot of delay, hassle and three lots of costs.
The building cost were increased but and it did look a bit ott but as I said to the builder we would rather invest in concrete than hot air.
Our surveyor refused to take any payment for his services so we left a couple of bottle of decent wine at his home and our grateful thanks.

The Party Wall Act

Submitted 0 eiliad ago

As a Party Wall Surveyor I am often approached by an Adjoining Owner on the basis that the neighbour is building or extending without having issued a PW Notice. The only remedy is via court action which the A O is reluctant to become involved in due to the cost. Why cannot the inspection of a valid PW Award be part of the Building Control requirement for commencement of work ? This would not incur a BC Officer or Approved Inspector in any real additional work but would sort out this unsatisfactory situation.

Party wall agreements

Submitted 0 eiliad ago

A sensible approach is always to try and avoid the need for any party wall agreement but if one is necessary the act is also there to empower building owners to do works affecting party walls. My advice to all clients is to have open communications at all times and share what you are proposing in a timely manners. Adjoining owners, faced with extensive building works along their boundary get very nervous (quite understandably) so the timely introduction of a skilled professional with a clear method statement and drawings goes a long way to easing concerns and smoothing the process. If you don't do their then the costs and disruptions can be significant. Julian Record MRICS.

Sewers under extensions

Submitted 0 eiliad ago

As well as a "Possible" Build over Sewer Agreement you should also bear in mind that a Building Notice cannot be used where a public sewer is involved and as "most" older domestic properties have Public sewers across the rear the effect of this should not be underestimated.

Ychwanegu sylw newydd

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Sign up to the building bulletin newsletter

Over 48,000 construction professionals have already signed up for the LABC Building Bulletin.

Join them and receive useful tips, practical technical information and industry news by email once every 6 weeks.

Subscribe to the Building Bulletin