What are the Building Regulations?
The Building Regulations ensure that new buildings, conversions, renovations and extensions (domestic or commercial) are going to be safe, healthy and high-performing.
Detailed regulations cover specific topics including: structural integrity, fire protection, accessibility, energy performance, acoustic performance, protection against falls, electrical and gas safety.
They also lay standards for drains, ventilation, protection against the ingress of water and protection against contamination including methane and radon gas.
The Building Regulations are defined by the English and Welsh governments.
For access to technical resources and expertise to help with your building projects and compliance with the Building Regulations visit our Guidance pages.
- 5 steps to building regulations approval
- Do I need building control approval for internal alterations?
- Do I need building regulations approval for my loft conversion?
- Do I need building regulations approval for my extension?
- Do I need building regulations approval for electrical work?
- Why is building control important?