Find the answer to your building control question. Find an answer to your building control question below. Or get in touch to ask us directly.

You'll need a regularisation certificate for any unauthorised building work. This is a retrospective application that your local authority will issue.

You'll find further details in No building regulations approval? What's the solution?


Yes. You should discuss any proposed building work with those neighbours who are most likely to be affected – either by the finished structure or the building process through things like noise or dust.

If your building plans involve shared walls or boundaries you may also need to get your neighbour’s formal agreement through a party wall agreement. See DCLG guidance.


Watch our short and easy to follow video explaining the building regulations basics:

When your application is approved by your local council building control team, you will usually be provided with an ‘Inspection Service Plan’ before you start work. This outlines the stages of work that require inspection. It will vary depending on the size and complexity of your project, age of your home, the construction type, ground conditions and your builder’s experience.

You’ll need to inform your local council building control team when you start and when you reach the stages outlined in your Inspection Service Plan so the surveyors can carry out site visits.

Once the work has been completed to the satisfaction of your local building control team, you will be issued with a ‘Completion Certificate’ to show all the work is up to standard. Watch the video below for further details...

That will depend on the nature of the project, the type of application and the local council area you live in. All local council building control teams are only permitted to recover the cost of the work they carry out, they do not make a profit on their services. This is in contrast to private ‘Approved Inspectors’ who are permitted to make profits on the work they undertake. Contact your local council building control team to get more information.


If you think that your project will need approval you can apply to your local building control team by:

  • Applying online through the Planning Portal.
  • Filling in an application form. You can do this yourself at your local council office, by downloading and sending it by email, online through your council's website or in some cases over the phone. (Call your local team (find their details here) and they will guide you through the process.) Call to see what your project fee will be, and you can often pay by using a phone card or through the secure payments system of the council's website. The application form, your fee and any plans to the building management team will need to be sent for registration and inspection.

For an application by Building Notice, there are no detailed plans to inspect and approve so you can start work as soon as the notice is accepted - usually within 48 hours.

With a Full Plans application the plans have to be thoroughly examined before being approved. And by law a council must give a decision on an application within five weeks of receiving it (unless it's extended with your written consent), but usually it takes much less time than this.

Approval of building plans lasts for three years and if you don’t start work in that time your council may serve you with a notice declaring your plans to be “of no effect”– meaning you will need to submit a fresh application.


Plans you submit under Full Plans applications will only be rejected if they don't meet the technical requirements of the building regulations, or if you have not provided enough information to show compliance. You can submit plans showing corrected or omitted information.

If you don't agree with the interpretation of the regulatory requirements it's possible to apply to the Secretary of State for a determination provided the work hasn't already started. This will involve an additional cost and can be a lengthy process, so we strongly recommend discussing your plans with your local council if possible.

Yes. If your local council building control team judges the work not up to standard it has powers to order you to pull down or alter the work. Serious and persistent cases of failure to meet building standards can result in legal action and a fine.


This video explains what to do if you didn't get building regulation approval for your building work, and what to do if the property you want to buy hasn't had a building regulation application.

Some types of minor building or improvement works like putting up sheds, car ports or porches do not need building regulations consent.

The general rule is that if they are small (less than 30m2), are built of non-combustible material, are separated from nearby buildings or land and do not contain sleeping accommodation, they are exempt. However it is always best to check with your local council building control team before starting work.

Other kinds of minor improvements - such as installing central heating can be carried out by ‘competent persons’. Visit the competent persons’ website.


The building regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings. Watch our short video and read more...

If your home has been improved or extended by a previous owner, you will need to have the proper certification for it when you come to sell. If you do not have the relevant building certificates, then you can apply for ‘regularisation’ - retrospective approval. A local council building control surveyor will assess the work to see if it is up to standard and, if not, recommend improvements to bring it up to standard so they can issue the appropriate certificates. You will have to pay a fee to your local council. (View further information on regularisation.)


Guidance from the former Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) in 2005 stated that if the building is a ‘small detached building’ as defined in Schedule 2 to the Building Regulations, then the regulations do not apply to either its erection or any subsequent work done to it so long as it remains a small detached building.

This has been confirmed by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) where it was stated the situation has not changed and any work to controlled fittings is exempt.

DCLG further advised the only control is with respect to Parts G and P in regulations 9(2) and (3) of the Building Regulations 2010.


If the complaint is about your own building work, you should initially raise it with your builder. You should always use a reputable builder who is a member of a trade association - such as the Federation of Master Builders (FMB). The association has a published complaints procedure, which sets out what you can do if your building work has gone wrong.

Local council building control teams inspect building work and certify it meets building standards. If they find work is not up to minimum legal standards they have the power to require the builder to bring it up to the required level. So if you have concerns about the quality of work on your building site you should contact the local council building control team to discuss your concerns.

For general advice on consumers’ rights about