Frequently asked questions - the LABC awards process
1. What are the entry requirements for the 2018 awards?
Here are the requirements for 2018:
- Building control work will have been carried out by a local authority building control team (not by an approved inspector).
- Projects will have been completed between 1 January and 31 December 2017.
- Entries will have been submitted via the online form. Read How to make a winning entry for inspiration.
2. Do I have to pay to enter the awards?
No - there’s no fee for entering the awards.
3. How do I enter?
Stage 1: First you'll register your nomination via a short form on the LABC website. This lets us know which nominations to expect.
Stage 2: You'll be given a link to create an account and start your nomination on the Submittable website where the entry form is hosted this year (you'll also receive an email with that link).
4. I've started an entry but don't know how to get back into it!
To get back into your entry, you'll go the Submittable website and scroll down to the category you were working on. You'll see that the information you've already entered but not submitted is still there for you to complete. Once you've submitted that entry you can start on another.
5. I haven't received a link from Submittable?
It could be that the email has ended up in your junk or spam folders. Have a look and add Submittable to your contacts list for good measure (or ask your IT department to whitelist Submittable). If you still haven't been able to trace the email, get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. What's my deadline?
All 12 LABC regions have different deadlines. Find your deadline date here. (Scroll to the bottom of that page to select your region from the dropdown list).
6. What information do I need before I submit my nomination?
We recommend gathering together your information before completing the form - especially if you're submitting more than one nomination per category. (This is because Submittable only saves one draft per category, so you’ll need to submit your entry before starting another one.)
7. Does the entry form have to be completed by my local authority building control surveyor?
Not necessarily. Builders, architects, designers and anyone else involved in a construction project can submit an entry.
If you’re entering your own project or company, an email will be sent to the Head of your local authority building control department, who can endorse your entry.
8. Can I view the entry forms prior to entering online so I know what the questions are?
Yes - you can view the entry forms on Submittable or as PDFs. See the links below for each of the nomination types.
- Best local builder or traditional craftsperson
- Construction professional of the year
- Best partnership with a Local Authority Building Control team
- Site based categories (please note the questions are the same for all nine site based categories not mentioned above).
9. How do I know which local authority and LABC region my project is in?
If you’re not sure which local authority and LABC region your project is in, enter the postcode here: Find council by postcode search. For best local builder, construction professional of the year and partnership categories, use the local authority you have a relationship with.
10. I can’t find the category I want to enter on the entry form?
There are 12 categories in all, split into four different nomination types on the entry form. One of these types is ‘Site based categories’. When you choose this option a choice of all the site based categories appears (nine in total) and you can select the one/s you wish to enter.
11. I want to enter one project into two categories - can I do this on the same form?
This depends on the nomination type. If you want to enter up to four of the site based categories you can do this using one form as the questions are the same for each category.
If you’d like to enter LABC construction professional of the year, Best local builder, or the Best partnership category, you’ll need to submit separate forms as these categories have different questions.
12. Can I enter my project into as many categories as I like?
Each project can be entered into a maximum of four categories.
13. I want to access the entry form and return to it at a later date. Can I do this?
Yes, when you begin your entry you'll be able to save it as a draft before you submit, but beware that you can only do this for one nomination per category at a time on Submittable. When you log back in and go to the category page you'll be able to see your draft submission.
14. I want other people to contribute to the entry form. How do I do this?
If you want someone else to add information you can provide them with your login details and they can then contribute to the form.
15. I’m having difficulty uploading my photographs. Why is this?
This could be a slow internet connection and the photos will upload eventually. However if this turns out not to be the case, get in touch with us.
16. Can I edit my form after I've submitted it?
This isn't possible, but if there's something that needs to be changed, we'll be happy to help. (Email us at email@example.com.)
17. What do the different statuses mean?
Your submission will be given a status by Submittable, depending on what's happening to your form in the LABC office. To view the status, log back into Submittable. We don't make use of all the Submittable statuses, but what you may well see are:
New - we've received your form and will be reviewing it shortly
In-progress - we've seen your form and are in the process of reviewing it.