LABC Charity of the Year 2024 Rainbow Trust
Rainbow Trust is the leading organisation providing emotional and practical support to families who have a child with a life threatening or terminal illness.
Being told that your child may die is one of the most traumatic experiences a parent can go through. Dealing with everyday practicalities and supporting each other can be completely overwhelming both practically and emotionally.
Rainbow Trust pairs each family with an expert Family Support Worker, who provides tailored practical and emotional support for the family 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Supporting the whole family Support is hugely varied and depends on the family’s needs. It can include:
- Taking families to and from the hospital because travelling on public transport is not feasible with long distances to specialist hospitals, medical equipment, an unsettled child, and the high risk of infection
- Attending appointments to help families digest upsetting or complex medical information, and sitting with the sick child in hospital so parents can take a much needed break
- Taking care of brothers and sisters; collecting them from school and helping with homework
- Emotional support for the whole family – being someone to talk to about worries or concerns
- Taking families for fun days out, giving them precious time to spend together
- Supporting families to attend drop-in groups, where they can meet others facing similar challenges and build their own support networks
- Providing support with end-of-life care, bereavement, and funeral plans.